Ph.D Students Eligible for Federal Skilled Worker Program

November 8, 2011

Ottawa, November 2, 2011 — Canada intends to accept up to 1,000 international PhD students per year as permanent residents through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Minister of State (Science and Technology) Gary Goodyear announced today, on behalf of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney.

Starting November 5, 2011, many international PhD students will be eligible to submit applications for processing as federal skilled workers. To be eligible, they must have completed at least two years of study toward the attainment of a PhD and remain in good academic standing at a provincially recognized post-secondary educational institution in Canada.

Those who have recently graduated from a Canadian PhD program will also be eligible to apply, provided they do so within 12 months of their graduation.

“This initiative will provide Canadian universities with one more competitive edge in attracting and retaining top international talent to pursue their doctoral studies in Canada,” said Paul Davidson, President of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. “We welcome this announcement.”

“Attracting and retaining immigrants with high levels of skill will help Canada compete in the knowledge-based world economy,” Minister Goodyear added. “With this initiative, we are telling the innovators of tomorrow that Canada is ready to welcome them and their ideas.”

International students account for about one-quarter of the students enrolled in Canadian PhD programs.

Tags: , , , , ,

Blog Calendar

November 2011
« Oct   Dec »
%d bloggers like this: